If you’re a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, you may be wondering just how many films are in the franchise. From Iron Man to Spider-Man, the MCU has been around for over a decade and has produced numerous box office hits. Let’s take a closer look at the films that make up this popular cinematic universe.
Phase One Films
The Marvel Cinematic Universe officially began with 2008’s Iron Man, directed by Jon Favreau. This film introduced us to Tony Stark, played by Robert Downey Jr., and set the tone for what was to come. The following films in Phase One included:
- The Incredible Hulk (2008) – Directed by Louis Leterrier and starring Edward Norton as Bruce Banner.
- Iron Man 2 (2010) – Also directed by Jon Favreau and featuring Mickey Rourke as the villainous Whiplash.
- Thor (2011) – Directed by Kenneth Branagh and starring Chris Hemsworth as the God of Thunder.
- Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) – Directed by Joe Johnston and featuring Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America.
- The Avengers (2012) – Directed by Joss Whedon, this film brought together all of our favorite heroes from Phase One for an epic battle against Loki.
Phase Two Films
Following the success of Phase One, Marvel continued their cinematic universe with Phase Two. These films included:
- Iron Man 3 (2013) – Directed by Shane Black and featuring Ben Kingsley as The Mandarin.
- Thor: The Dark World (2013) – Directed by Alan Taylor and featuring Christopher Eccleston as the villainous Malekith.
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) – Directed by the Russo Brothers and featuring Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes/The Winter Soldier.
- Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) – Directed by James Gunn and featuring a cast of misfit characters including Chris Pratt as Peter Quill/Star-Lord.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) – Directed by Joss Whedon, this film introduced us to the villainous Ultron, played by James Spader.
- Ant-Man (2015) – Directed by Peyton Reed and starring Paul Rudd as the titular hero.
Phase Three Films
Phase Three brought us some of the biggest films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, including:
- Captain America: Civil War (2016) – Directed by the Russo Brothers, this film pitted Captain America against Iron Man in an epic battle.
- Doctor Strange (2016) – Directed by Scott Derrickson and starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Stephen Strange/Doctor Strange.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) – Also directed by James Gunn, this film reunited us with our favorite ragtag group of heroes.
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) – Directed by Jon Watts and starring Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spider-Man.
- Thor: Ragnarok (2017) – Directed by Taika Waititi and featuring Cate Blanchett as Hela, Goddess of Death.
- Black Panther (2018) – Directed by Ryan Coogler and starring Chadwick Boseman as T’Challa/Black Panther.
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018) – Directed by the Russo Brothers, this film brought together all of our favorite heroes to face off against the villainous Thanos.
- Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) – Directed by Peyton Reed and starring Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly as Ant-Man and The Wasp, respectively.
- Captain Marvel (2019) – Directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, this film introduced us to Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, played by Brie Larson.
- Avengers: Endgame (2019) – Also directed by the Russo Brothers, this film brought the MCU’s first major storyline to a close with an emotional finale.
- Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) – Directed by Jon Watts and starring Tom Holland once again as Spider-Man.
The Future of the MCU
With Phase Three officially coming to a close with Spider-Man: Far From Home, fans are eagerly anticipating what’s next for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Phase Four will bring us new heroes like Shang-Chi and The Eternals, as well as returning favorites like Thor and Doctor Strange. It’s clear that Marvel has big plans for their cinematic universe, and we can’t wait to see what they have in store.
So there you have it – a comprehensive list of all the films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or just getting started, these movies are sure to provide hours of entertainment. So sit back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the ride!