When it comes to the Batman franchise, one of the most iconic and enduring villains is undoubtedly the Joker. Over the years, there have been numerous iterations of both Batman and the Joker, across various media including comics, movies, TV shows, and video games.
However, not all versions of Batman feature the Joker as a key character or antagonist. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at which Batman has the Joker in it.
Which Batman Has the Joker?
The answer to this question is not as straightforward as you might expect. The Joker has appeared in many different versions of Batman over the years, but his role and significance can vary widely depending on the particular story or adaptation.
The earliest appearances of the Joker were in the original Batman comics from DC Comics. The first issue featuring him was Detective Comics #27 in 1939. Since then, he has been a recurring villain in various comic book storylines and series featuring Batman.
Some notable examples include:
- Batman: The Killing Joke – This graphic novel by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland is often cited as one of the definitive depictions of the Joker’s character. It features a brutal and psychologically disturbing confrontation between Batman and the Joker.
- Batman: Death of the Family – In this storyline by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, the Joker returns after a year-long absence to wreak havoc on Gotham City and its residents.
- Batman: Arkham Asylum – This video game adaptation takes place entirely within Gotham’s infamous psychiatric hospital for criminals. The Joker is one of several villains that Batman must face while attempting to restore order.
The Joker has also been a prominent character in various Batman movies over the years. However, not all of these movies feature him as the primary villain or even a major character.
Some examples include:
- Batman (1989) – In this Tim Burton-directed film, the Joker (played by Jack Nicholson) is portrayed as a gangster named Jack Napier who falls into a vat of chemicals and emerges with his trademark white skin and green hair.
- The Dark Knight (2008) – This Christopher Nolan-directed film features a performance by Heath Ledger that is widely regarded as one of the definitive depictions of the Joker. He serves as the primary antagonist and mastermind behind a series of brutal crimes in Gotham City.
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) – While not strictly a Batman movie, this crossover film includes an appearance by Jared Leto as the Joker in a brief scene.
Batman TV Shows
The Joker has also appeared in numerous Batman TV shows over the years, from animated series to live-action adaptations.
- Batman: The Animated Series – Mark Hamill’s voice performance as the Joker in this iconic ’90s cartoon is often cited as one of the best portrayals of the character. He appears frequently throughout the series as one of Batman’s most dangerous foes.
- Gotham – This TV series focuses on Jim Gordon’s early career as a police detective in Gotham City, before Batman’s arrival. However, it still features several iconic Batman villains including the Joker (played by Cameron Monaghan).
So, which Batman has the Joker in it? The answer is: many of them!
The Joker has been a fixture of the Batman universe for over 80 years, and has appeared in countless adaptations and iterations. Whether you prefer comic books, movies, TV shows, or video games, chances are you’ll be able to find a version of Batman that features the Clown Prince of Crime in some capacity.