The upcoming film “The Batman” directed by Matt Reeves and starring Robert Pattinson as the Dark Knight has generated much anticipation and speculation about its cast, plot, and style. One of the most intriguing questions is who will play the Joker, one of the most iconic and complex villains in comic book history. In this article, we will explore some of the rumors, hints, and possibilities surrounding this role.
What We Know So Far
First of all, it’s important to note that Warner Bros. has not officially confirmed or denied any specific actor for the Joker. Therefore, all we have are rumors based on interviews, leaks, and fan theories. However, we do have some clues from the director and the previous films in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU).
According to Reeves in an interview with Nerdist in 2019, he wants to portray a younger Batman who is still learning his skills and facing a rogues’ gallery that reflects his early stage of development. “It’s very much a point of view-driven noir Batman tale,” he said.
“It’s told very squarely on his shoulders.” This suggests that whoever plays the Joker needs to be able to match Pattinson’s intensity and vulnerability while also conveying a sense of danger and madness.
Another factor to consider is that “The Batman” is not part of the DCEU but rather a standalone story set in its own universe. This means that there is no continuity between this film and other recent films like “Justice League” or “Suicide Squad,” which featured Jared Leto as the Joker.
Now let’s look at some of the actors who have been rumored or suggested by fans as potential candidates for the Joker role:
- Willem Dafoe: This veteran actor has already played a comic book villain, the Green Goblin in “Spider-Man,” and has shown his range in dramas like “The Florida Project” and “At Eternity’s Gate.” Some fans think he would be a perfect fit for the Joker, given his angular features and intense gaze.
However, he is already playing another villain in the DCEU, Vulko in “Aquaman. “
- Johnny Depp: Another actor with a reputation for playing eccentric characters, Depp has also expressed interest in playing the Joker in the past. He could bring his trademark quirkiness to the role while also tapping into his darker side as seen in films like “Black Mass” and “Sweeney Todd.” However, some fans are wary of him due to recent controversies surrounding his personal life.
- Ewan McGregor: Best known for playing Obi-Wan Kenobi in the Star Wars prequels, McGregor has also shown his versatility as an actor by playing diverse roles such as Renton in “Trainspotting,” Christian in “Moulin Rouge!” and Dan Torrance in “Doctor Sleep.” He is set to play another villain in the DCEU, Black Mask, in the upcoming film “Birds of Prey,” which may or may not affect his availability for the Joker role.
- Taron Egerton: Although he is relatively new to Hollywood compared to other actors on this list, Egerton has already proven himself as a charismatic and dynamic performer through his roles in films like “Kingsman: The Secret Service,” “Rocketman,” and “Eddie the Eagle.” He also bears some physical resemblance to some versions of the Joker from the comics. However, it’s unclear if he would want or be offered such a high-profile part.
- Unknown actor: It’s possible that Reeves may choose to cast an unknown actor for the Joker role, as he did for the lead role of “The Batman.” This would allow him to mold the character according to his vision and avoid any baggage or expectations from previous portrayals of the Joker. However, this would also be a risky move, as the Joker is such a popular and demanding character.
In conclusion, while we don’t know for sure who will play the Joker in “The Batman,” we can speculate based on the hints and rumors we have gathered so far. Whoever gets chosen for this role will have a challenging task of bringing one of the most complex and beloved villains to life in a fresh and compelling way. We can only hope that they succeed, and that “The Batman” lives up to its potential as a thrilling and innovative take on one of pop culture’s most enduring icons.