The Joker is one of the most iconic villains in the DC universe. He has been portrayed on the big screen by several actors, including Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger, and most recently, Jared Leto. Fans have been speculating whether or not the Clown Prince of Crime will be making a return to the big screen in the upcoming Batman movie.
History of Joker in Batman Movies
The Joker first appeared in Batman #1 comic book in 1940 and has since become one of the most popular supervillains of all time. He has been portrayed on screen several times, with each actor bringing their own unique take on the character.
- Jack Nicholson: Nicholson played the Joker in Tim Burton’s 1989 movie, ‘Batman.’ His portrayal was a mix of campy and menacing.
- Heath Ledger: Ledger played the Joker in Christopher Nolan’s ‘The Dark Knight.’
His portrayal was much darker and more twisted than previous versions.
- Jared Leto: Leto played a modern-day version of the Joker in ‘Suicide Squad’ (2016). His portrayal was controversial among fans and critics alike.
Rumors about Joker’s Return
There have been rumors circulating that the Joker will make an appearance in Matt Reeves’ upcoming movie ‘The Batman,’ which stars Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne/Batman. However, there has been no official confirmation from Warner Bros. or Matt Reeves about this rumor.
It’s important to note that if the Joker does appear in ‘The Batman,’ it’s unlikely that Jared Leto will reprise his role. This is because Warner Bros. is developing a standalone movie based on Leto’s Joker, which means that his version of the character is separate from the DC Extended Universe.
Possible Actors to Play Joker
If the Joker does appear in ‘The Batman,’ it’s likely that a new actor will be cast in the role. Here are some actors who could potentially take on the iconic role:
- Willem Dafoe: Dafoe has a proven track record of playing unhinged characters, and his performance as Green Goblin in ‘Spider-Man’ (2002) is proof of that.
- Jim Carrey: Carrey has shown that he can play both serious and comedic roles. His performance as The Riddler in ‘Batman Forever’ (1995) was a highlight of the movie.
- Ewan McGregor: McGregor is known for his versatility as an actor. He recently played Black Mask in ‘Birds of Prey’ (2020), which shows that he can play a villain with ease.
The question of whether or not Joker will return in ‘The Batman’ remains unanswered, but fans are hopeful. If the Joker does make an appearance, it will be interesting to see which actor takes on the iconic role and how they interpret it.
Regardless of whether or not Joker appears in ‘The Batman,’ one thing is for sure – he will always be one of the most memorable villains in comic book history.